Unusual among senior RO practitioners, Julian Fairfield, focuses on strategy design and implementation, using his unique set of experiences in creating and refining a set of expansions and innovations in the field.
Major expansions and innovations:
- Using his study of human evolution to describe the shock of organizational contracts between strangers after millennia of depending on informal trusting relationships.
- Expanding RO-based practice to include the informal, softer, human processes along with the formal RO systems - described in his book, Levels of Excellence.
- Expanding interventions to include a broader set of components using the McKinsey 7-S framework itself subject to levels analysis - again, see Levels of Excellence.
- Using the holon concept to link Jaque's levels of complexity to known levels in complexity in consciousness and in the physical world from quark to universe.
- Application of levels to analyzing the evolution of individual organization functions and using that mapping to perform competitive analyses in a sector and in designing competitive strategy by up-lifting key functions.
- Expanding the domains of RO-based consulting by application of levels theory to analyses of the stages in national development - both in Eritrea and in East Timor
Unique set of experiences that shape his perspective:
- Six years in manufacturing in the USA in roles at I, II, III, and IV.
- Four years - Senior consultant with the Boston Consulting Group and McKinsey, both world-class advisors to senior executives.
- Four years - responsible for implementing RO at CRA, first year working as a McKinsey consultant to Sir Roderick Carnegie, CEO of CRA, and three years as an employee of CRA. .
- Two years studying management practices in Japan.
- 30 years as Founder and Managing Director of Bach Consulting in Australia specializing in Organization and Strategy for large corporate and government clients
- 2018 - Article - Levels theory is a reflection of the holonic structure of reality and consciousness
- 2005 - Presentation - Understanding human evolution: A useful precondition for personal growth, happiness and avoiding extinction - (about 2 hours)
- 2005 - Presentation slides - Understanding Human Evolution A Useful Precondition for Personal Growth, Happiness and Avoiding Extinction 84 pp.
- 2016 - Book - Who’s In Control of Your Brain?
Societal development and survival
- 2005 - Interview - Part 1: Requisite Organization: A Simple Theory but Difficult to Implement
- 2005 - Interview - Part 2: Why Use RO: Advice to CEOs
- 2005 - Interview - Part 3: Two Levels of Requisite Organization Benefits: Personal and Organizational
- 2005 - Interview - Part 4: Research Ideas That Would Clarify Requisite Organization Premises
- 2005 - Interview - Part 5: Trust, Love and Organizations
- 2007 - Article - Profit by Raising a Key Function to the Next Level: Tools to Build a Work Levels Shifting Strategy
- 2014 - Audio Interview - Julian's then current thoughts on Levels-Shifting
- 2019 - Presentation - Introduction to the organization of the future - 3 min
- 2019 - Presentation - Outcomes possible by abandoning pure Command and Control 9 min A demonstration of how entrepreneurial capability, social purpose, and high trust can be mobilized to fulfill social purpose without traditional organization; and how these principles can also work in agile teams in larger organizations. The challenge is how to scale and teach these methods for use in teams in organizations.
- 2019 - Presentation - Three key questions in exploring the future of organization design - what to keep, what to throw out, and what to invent. The extreme difficulty in changing basic assumptions in our system 7 min
National and regional development
Julian is currently working on two major startups, one a revolutionary approach to developing health care in Australia and the other redesigning a natural gas supply chain from Canada to Asia.
Email: [email protected]
- Board Member (2005-2007)
- International Advisor - Australia (2005-present)